NGT notice on plea for resuming mining in forest land near R’bore | Jaipur News

msid 128573958imgsize 91714.cms https://jaipur.visitinrajasthan.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/cropped-cropped-R-2.png

msid 128573958,imgsize 91714 https://jaipur.visitinrajasthan.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/cropped-cropped-R-2.png

Jaipur: The Principal Bench of the National Green Tribunal (NGT), New Delhi, issued notice on a miscellaneous application seeking modification of its earlier order that restrained mining operations in 208 hectare of forest land linked to a lease near the Ranthambore National Park.The matter was heard in New Delhi by a bench comprising Justice Prakash Shrivastava, Chairperson, and Dr A Senthil Vel, expert member.The application sought variation of the Tribunal’s order dated Oct 11, 2017. In the original proceedings, allegations were raised regarding illegal and unauthorised mining, particularly within the Ranthambore National Tiger Reserve and adjoining forest areas.In its 2017 order, the tribunal recorded submissions that the total mining lease area was 1,516 hectares, of which 1,107 hectares fell on revenue land and 208 hectares comprised forest land where mining had earlier taken place but was subsequently stopped. An additional 201 hectares proposed for mining were also stated to fall within forest land and the sanctuary buffer zone.An official familiar with the matter said, “It was directed that no mining activity be carried out in the 208 hectares of forest land where operations had been halted, and no mining be undertaken in the 201 hectares falling within the sanctuary or its buffer zone. However, mining was permitted on 1,107 hectares of revenue land, subject to compliance with applicable laws.”The bench had also granted liberty to approach the tribunal for modification of the order upon obtaining all relevant statutory permissions, including approval from the Wildlife Board.During the latest hearing, senior counsel for the applicant submitted that the necessary clearances have now been secured. These include permission dated April 3, 1998, from the Ministry of Environment and Forest for diversion of 108 hectares of forest land; approval dated Nov 13, 2006, under Section 2 of the Forest (Conservation) Act for diversion of 100 acres; and wildlife clearance dated June 9, 2025, granted by the Principal Chief Conservator of Forests and Chief Wildlife Warden, Rajasthan, Jaipur, under Section 29 of the Wild Life (Protection) Act, 1972.“It was argued that in view of the forest and wildlife clearances, the applicant is entitled to resume mining operations in the 208 hectares of forest land that were earlier restricted,” the official said.The tribunal issued notice to all parties in the original application and directed them to file their responses by way of affidavit at least one week before the next date of hearing through e-filing. “The applicant has been directed to serve copies and file an affidavit of service in advance. The matter has been listed for further hearing on May 25, 2026,” the order read.

Source link

Rate this post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *